Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wah! Quinoa


I am not sure if I have ever eaten this stuff before...maybe once or twice sometime in the past. And maybe it is just a trend right now, but it seems like every morning or evening when I am scrolling through food images on the various blogs I visit, that I see yet *another* recipe with quinoa.

In particular I wanted to test out one of the breakfast recipes. Apparently, quinoa is a very viable replacement for oatmeal....in fact much healthier because of its really high protein content.
Saw a bunch of recipes...here, here, and here, for example.
Ended up doing a variation on the first - I didn't have pomegranate in my fridge, but I did have persimmon - which worked just as well.

Admittedly, it's not as fast as toast and avocado, my usual standby, but it was yummy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,
Quinoa verwende ich schon seit 20 Jahren verwendet. Es war das Korn, das mit der ersten grünen Welle in Deutschland bekannt wurde. Ich verwende es auch gerne als Fleischersatz für gefüllte Paprika, Tomaten oder Zucchini. Hast Du Quinoa bei mir noch nie gegessen?

Julie Nathan said...

I probably have eaten it at your house - just have never made it myself. But you're right, it's a great alternative to meat - and also very nice for breakfast. :-)

Anonymous said...

So, how did you make this? I have tons of the stuff. Mom

Anonymous said...

So, how did you make this? I have tons of the stuff. Mom