Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Web 2.0 Bubble?

If you're a regular reader of my blog, you might have noticed a few things:
1) I'm not posting as frequently as I have in the past: I'm sorry - it's just that I'm really wrapped up in a bunch of projects and I also really want to say meaningful things on the blog and not just post for the sake of posting. I listened to part of a webcast of a web analytics expert this morning who reinforced this feeling with his views. His name is Avinash Kaushik and his webcast was of a talk he did at Google about web analytics. Quite interesting. But in his introduction to the talk, he also mentioned the feeling that "nobody wants to hear about your date last night" or something to that effect. And I often feel like the blogs I write are a bit "yeah, so WHAT?!" (I also think I've written some interesting blogs - at least for *my* target audience. Which is why I keep hacking away at it. Although sometimes I would like to write blogs which I dare not to...)

2) I've been outfitting my blog with all kinds of wacky widgets: Yup - as I mentioned in the last blog, I've been working with andUNITE and we're considering a whole bunch of different ways to drive users to the site. :-) So this is a little bit of a test pad to see who uses what, to play around myself, etc.

3) Latest widget: my voki. A bit boring at the moment cause I chose the very conservative look and my vocal message is not exactly EXCITING. But I think the idea is cool and has a lot of interesting potential. There are lots and lots of places to create an avatar for yourself, but these guys were able to personalize it a lot more than others - if you press the play button, you hear my recorded voice welcoming you to my blog. (Claudia - maybe Mika can create one for your blog.)
_________________
On a seperate note. Last night I was trying to explain to my mother what web 2.0 is. I keep sending around this really cool youtube video that does what I think is a really good job of explaining it. I think a simple text definition is boring.

And especially since I started working with Christian and Bernd, I've been really excited about web 2.0 projects. But I've also been worried. Because I remember web 1.0 and the big crash and I have this ominous feeling. I read this blog this morning (yup, where I first saw "voki") and had that sort of sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey hey hey! easy on all the techie stuff okay? all the pictures of food, shopping, house, 'car shrines', on the floor ads were certainly more meaningful (okay...equally meaningful as the web 2.0...since u r so into it) than this web 2 point o thingie!! :D
-baLu

Claudia said...

Hi Julie,
sounds like a cool idea, this widget-stuff-voki-thing :-)

But maybe I'm just too blonde ... but I can't find it on your page?!?!
I found the SMS-thing (as you know - by the way, still waiting for your mail ;-) ), but where's the voki??????

P.S. I like all this techie stuff, although right now I just understand half of it ;-)