Monday, November 19, 2007

You know, it's winter here





The snow has started to fall. Quite early this year. And while it gets wiped away a day or two later by a warm slushy breeze, it's quite impressive in its white lacy grandeur for a fleeing hour or two. The trees outside our windows get painted with the white stuff and take on a whole new character. It's like they have seasonal personalities.

We went to see American Gangster on Saturday night (Good! Except for I hated the scenes with the needles and shooting up and the scene where the bad cop shot the dog). As we walked from the strassenbahn stop to the theater (about 300 yards), a teeeeeenie tiny little BMW pulled up alongside us. I stopped in my tracks and asked Andreas, "What's that?" The tiny thing was barely bigger than the woman sitting in it. "Isetta," said Andreas. "Made just after the war cause they were cheap." CUTE! Probably ridiculously dangerous. But I grabbed my phone and stole a shot. The woman inside the car smirked and watched me shoot her. She probably gets photographed all the time in her little lawnmower.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very usefully lil thingy i see...with all the strikes coming up *grin*
does it affect you at all? there seems to be quite a lot of noise being made about it.
-baLu

Aunt Sue said...

I love looking at beautiful pictures of snow from warm Florida. Still wonderful weather here. I start cooking tomorrow for Thanksgiving, but not much as we are only 3. Just doing a sugar free cranberry sauce, and an apricot cake. The rest I'll do Thursday. Gobble gobble!

nichole said...

I miss snow!!! I walked by the "snow" machine outside Tanglin the other day and it just seemed to pitiful. I saw one of those little cars once and took a picture as well. I think I've seen some of those electric cars for kids about the same size!

Julie N said...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...
Balu - the strikes here don't affect me too much. I don't travel that much with the german trains. And the local street cars and subway system are not affected.

Nichole - i wish the snow would stick. Here it just turns to slush so fast...agreed, the machine outside of Tanglin blowing soap bubbles is a joke

ABA said...

You can keep the snow there. Emily and I went on a two tank dive. On the first dive we saw a white tipped shark. On the second we saw a turtle cleaning station. A giant green turtle was floating about ten feet above the bottom in about 40 feet. A school of black and yellow fish were on top of it eating parasites off of its shell and skin. As we swam past it patiently looked at us. It was a true religious experience. I will send you a picture. Thanks to Emily I am back into diving. Mom and I want to go back to Hawaii real soon.