Sunday, April 11, 2010

You say Baerlauch (ramps), I say Brot (bread)


The English garden is again teaming with ramps. Fields of it. Never-ending pastures full of the garlicky herb.
So, time to make some bread. I headed over to there late this afternoon when the sun decided to grace us with its presence for 15 minutes today (annoyed with this schizophrenic April weather - who said we wanted it cold and snowy again?!?!?!) and collected a few handfuls of the stuff.

They sell the bread in the bakeries, of course, but fresh, hot-out-of-the-breadmachine (ok, CHEATING - but hey, I had a lot to do today) Baerlauch brot - yum.

Ingredients:
400 gm white flour
300 gm rye flour (i was out of whole wheat)
3 eggs
1 package yeast (fresh)
2 tsp salt
2 Tbl brown sugar
approximately 125 gm chopped up Baerlauch
2 Tbl olive oil
about...150 gm water

Recipe called for whole wheat flour and also for yogurt - but for once - I had no yogurt or substitutes in the house, so did without.

Will post photo of loaf in about an hour or so - as soon as it is done baking. Smells good though.
___________
And...there we go. But....results need some work. Not enough salt for my taste. And I would even add more sugar to give it a slightly sweet edge. Also, next time I need to have the yogurt in there for some heft - it's a light airy bread, and I am used to a bit denser. But now is only the beginning of the season, so I have some time left to try out another loaf or two.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, April in Deutschland ist ein Teil Winter - Schnee, 1 Teil Frühling - Regen und ein Teil Sommer - Sonne und das kann manchmal innerhalb von Stunden gemixt sein. Da bleibt nur die Hoffnung auf den Mai. Aber es gibt jetzt dafür viel Gutes zum Kochen wie Bärlauch, Spargel, Erdbeeren, Rhabarber usw. Das freut dann die Köchin!

Chris said...

Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

You can't just leave out the yogurt. We're talking chemical reactions. Did you substitute something.
by the way, when you marinate chicken, or whatever, in yogurt it serves as a tenderizer. Did you know that?
Mom

Julie Nathan said...

Dorothee: to be honest - i don't like the German weather. Too often I would rather be home in California. But I do like the spring vegetables here indeed. Fresh peas, artichokes, fava beans...

Christian: yup - was not bad.

Mom: I just made another loaf last night - with yogurt - and there honestly is not much of a difference. I also used whole wheat flour instead of rye...and I might even prefer the rye. Got the salt right this time too.