Thursday, July 22, 2010

Marin Headlands








Every time I return home I am reminded of the feelings I first had when my parents moved to California. Just an overwhelming pleasure and feeling of satisfaction from the sight of the tree-covered mountains, the smell of wild herbs, the intense sun and dry heat. There's no place like home, but I didn't even grow up here, it's just my adopted home. Munich is great as well in its own way, and I love it there as well, it's just not....the natural beauty of California. The Alps are gorgeous too, just in a different way. Anyway, if there is something I have learned over the years, it's that comparisons are not really fair, not with places, not with people, jobs, things, etc. Everything is unique.

So minute philosophies aside, I had a great day with my mom yesterday. We started out with a workout in the gym (of 7 days of vacation thus far, I have been in the gym for 6 of them, feels great), then a trip over to her favorite cafe in Larkspur for a quick coffee, then a drive down to Sausalito for a walk around and then lunch at Sushi Ran, and then on to the Marin Headlands, for a hike I had never done before. Really beautiful and a good chance to enjoy California for a bit before I head back to Germany. Despite the typical summer fog hanging over the bay, the short hike was incredibly refreshing. Will try to do the same today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i know what you mean julie about both breathing in california when it first hits you and comparisons not being fair. i love a lot of places but i do know that most of the top ones for me have tall mountains and crisp temps...thus my frequent conundrum, what am i doing back in georgia? this time its studying alternative transportation policy and trying to become the exec director of georgia bikes, a statewide nonprofit. i suppose if it doesnt work out, i'll secretly take that as a sign to head for the hills :) love the pix. t

Anonymous said...

I watch my 15 minute video of our walk every day at the gym. Love it. Mom