Friday, February 22, 2008

Lang Lang

I don't know.

Will try again...

Although this may crash and burn right away. I start a really tough project on Monday with a lot of travel. So I am not sure how much time I have.
____________________

I am VERY excited about Sunday. Because of that photo there.



On Tuesday I was listening to a favorite pianist - Lang Lang - his newest album is called Dragon Songs and has compositions he wrote that are somehow a fusion of an Asian/Chinese sound and what I know of as traditional Western/European classical music. They are really great.

On a whim, I googled him so I could watch a few videos of him on You Tube, and in the process figured out (by looking at a couple other links) that he is playing in Munich on Sunday night. We've tried to get tickets in the past, but he's always sold out before we get a chance to buy. So I figured it would be an exercise in futility to even bother looking. But in fact...it was not. There were 5 seats left. He's playing at the Gasteig - a concert hall which is a 5 minute walk from where I work. And basically it was a 2 and a half minute run when I saw there were a few tickets still available. (After a 20 second phone call to the husband "honey, can we blow a whole bunch of money on tickets? yes? ok, great. bye.") I got to the ticket counter, and asked for tickets. The guy shook his head. "I don't think there is anything left." Me: "I just checked online. 2 minutes ago. There are tickets." He pulls up his screen. Surprise. Indeed. 5 tickets left. Some of the best seats in the house. I cringed at the price and handed over the credit card.

So....looking forward to Sunday night. :-) He will play mostly classics, but the last bullet on the program suggests he might play something from Dragon Songs, which I really look forward to.

Here he's playing a piece (Liszt/Horowitz, Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2) that we will hear on Sunday night. I love watching his face as he plays. He's so emotional and funny and it's so transparent, that it makes listening to the music even more of a pleasure when you can "see" what he is thinking to some extent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom here. LOVED the video!!!! The evening should be spectacular. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Aunt Sue writing. We heard Lang Lang last year when he played in Ft. Lauderdale as part of our concert series. He played very well technically, but rushed through his program, like he was not happy to be there. The audience was appreciative of his playing, but he did not respond to us.

Anonymous said...

Not happy being in Ft. Lauderdale? There mst have been something worng with him... ;-)