Friday, July 24, 2009

Confiture de Lait



Before we left for the trip to Paris/Normandy, my creative director (a German man married to a French woman - who spends a good amount of time in France with his family) asked me to bring one thing back for him from the Normandy.
"Of course," I said.
"Please bring me back a jar of Confiture de Lait."
"What's that?"
"It is a preserve made out of milk and sugar," he said.
And indeed, that is what it is. But for whatever reason, I didn't remember that description. I thought it was a preserve made from butter...somehow..memory...failed. So I was asking everyone:
"where can I get the classic Normandy preserve made out of butter?"
"Butter?" No one knew.
Finally, I emailed him the second to last day and asked again.
"What is this stuff called?"
And he reminded me. And of course only an hour later I found it in a little town called Villedieu des Poeles, sold to me by a very well-fed round woman who was more than delighted to sell me four jars of the stuff because by that time I figured it must be REALLY good. And in the end, we bought yet another jar at the cider factory a few hours later.

It is basically...a not-so-rich-tasting caramel sauce - pleasant and sweet, but not overwhelming. As our creative director explained to me this morning, best eaten on a plain piece of bread, no butter, with a strong cup of black tea.

This evening I am was not so hungry, so I improvised a TINY bit on his advice. I scrambled an egg, toasted a half of a muesli roll, and spread the Confiture de Lait (i know, sacriledge) on the roll and piled the scrambled egg on top. Not bad, but I have to think up a few other uses for it. Meanwhile, I have three jars of the stuff to give away (ALTHOUGH...flavors are: chocolate, plum, and vanilla - not the natural caramel flavor alone...) Any takers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bring one to ca!