Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Jackfruit


It feels normal to be back in the office and in front of a computer again. Although when I stepped outside to get something for lunch today, the warm air and sun was much more inviting than the office buzz, phones, and LCD monitors. It's HOT here, though, and I wonder if the frozen shrimp I bought during my lunch run will make it home in ice-cube state or if I will have a drippy mess when I get to the door. The streets in Munich are all torn up everywhere - everyone is on vacation now, so the city decided to do all the road work at once - a big mess getting around, even on a bike. Hoping the repairs go quickly. Meanwhile, on a bike, one has to weave around the pedestrians and the few cars that manage to remain on the road which makes the going a bit slower than usual.

Saw these two lovely jackfruit during my lunch run as well, although they will not accompany the shrimp home. One of my favorite tropical fruits, I think I ate it from a can the first time 20 years ago. Used to eat it fresh in Singapore all the time, and as you can see, it's still possible to get here, but the pricing is a bit different. And like lychees, jackfruit manages to keep its texture and flavor when it gets canned, so it's not a bad option.

No comments: