Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Last Supper in Deutschland



Here's one of the latest billboard ads circulating through Munich. It's an ad for a TV show (Deutschland's Meisterkoch - Germany's Master Chef) that has apparently just launched. (The sentence on it can be translated: "What makes this jury blessed?") First reaction: intrigue - what is this new cooking show? Is it any good? Second reaction: annoyance - because there was no QR code on the ad - you know - one of these:



in which to quickly find out what it was all about. Instead, I would be forced to type in the URL to see. Imagine...life before internet.

Anyway, as it turns out, I didn't even bother to look it up until a day later - when I was home sick in bed yesterday (not so nice to spend the weekend in bed :-((( ), and had plenty of time.

As it turns out, I probably shouldn't even write a blog about it. But it's terrible. It is a combination of reality tv, big brother, iron chef, and god knows what else. I watched a few clips - like the 5 minute clip of the auditions of 1500 cooks trying out for one of the 12 spots on the show, and grimaced as celebrity chefs stood there and insulted the guys trying out. It wasn't funny. It was mean-spirited, cliche, and frankly gave me no appetite to watch more. I did, however, watch 1 or 2 more clips and it was enough to know that there is no way I will ever watch an entire episode.

And I don't really get the reference to the Last Supper in the ad. Sat.1 - you're trying too hard and failing miserably.

No comments: