Sunday, September 5, 2010

Patience is a Virtue (Beef Yakni Pulao/Beef Biryani)




...and I have little patience. So this particular recipe was really really tough for me.

I have tried to make Biryani before with only moderate success (rice was mushy). I ran across a really fabulous blog yesterday, though, and was inspired to try again.

The trick, I have now learned, is merely...do not open the pot, no matter what. So, you make the broth first - cubes of beef simmered with coriander and cardamom, cinnamon and garlic, onions, ginger, etc., for an hour. (Meanwhile, soak your rice - I used brown because I had no Basmati, but next time will do it with Basmati - but brown worked and was wonderful). Saute a chopped onion in a pan for 15 minutes until the onion caramelizes. Add your beef cubes from the broth (throw away the onion and ginger) and add a little butter if necessary. Let the beef brown a bit. Then, put in the rice and broth and turn the heat down to low. Cover the pot with a tea towel and then the lid. And turn your timer on for 20 min. Wait. Do not open the pot. When the timer goes off, set it for another 20 minutes and turn off the heat. Wait. Do not open the pot. Do not be tempted to look or to stir or all the steam will be gone and you will have raw rice at the end.

Then, moment of truth. Timer goes off. Say a little prayer. (Too late anyway, but a little praying never hurt anyone.) Open the pot. And there you go - perfectly cooked rice - aromatic and tender. Only real changes I would make to it is to make it with meat on the bone or at least a couple bones thrown in - because I think the broth would have been even better. Serve it up with raita and a little lime pickle.

No comments: