Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Strike!!!

Well, I can't say I wasn't warned....

A huge union here in Germany, Verdi, which I guess most airport personnel belong to, as well as various public transportation employee groups (train drivers, bus drivers, etc.), has been battling it out on wage issues and declared that they would strike this week - likely on Wednesday. Andreas heard it on the radio on Monday morning.

And today is Wednesday. And I am flying to Duesseldorf today. So I dutifully changed my flight the first time last night when I heard my 8:50 am flight was cancelled. And I checked the airport website before leaving this morning for my 10:35 am flight. I got to the airport and was met with the bitter news that my second flight had been cancelled.

Got in line to find out options, calling travel agency while I waited. Travel agency put me on another airline for a 12:05 flight. I left the line, went to terminal 1 to jump on that flight. On the way, passed lots of strikers marching around airport blowing whistles...


Got to next airline to check in. Waited in line. Was told at the front that next airline had cancelled thier 12:05 flight. Called travel agent. Rebooked for a 15:05 flight. Actually have a boarding pass in my hand. Am now working in airport lounge and crossing fingers that I will be able to get on an airplane later.

Update later if I get bumped again. Probably will just go home.

But I am getting a lot done at the nice quiet airport lounge, so this is really not so bad. Maybe I should come work here every day....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The perfect time to blog! -Amy

Anonymous said...

I guess you finally made it to destination. Quite a frustrating day!
Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie! Bad timing! We won't be in Singapore end of March! :-(
How was dinner last night? Hope, my husband behaved! Have a nice sunday, you two!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes: we also had to get up at nearly midnight in order to get to Hannover by train on this day (http://blog.andunite.com/2008/03/06/andunite-auf-der-cebit-zur-verleihung-des-hauptpreises-des-grunderwettbewerbs-multimedia-des-bundesministeriums-fur-wirtschaft-und-technologie/). And then we found out the our flight was not even cancelled - chaos!