Monday, October 5, 2009

Happy Hormones


With winter coming the days are getting shorter. I finally hauled my bike in to the repair shop today to get the light fixed so that when i ride home at night I will be able to see (and be seen). But I think I am also one of those people who is a little moodier in the winter when there is less sun. Came across this article a week back and I keep talking and thinking about it.

I am a little surprised that someone didn't come up with the idea in California - where the whole "you are what you eat" movement practically was invented. I can imagine a restaurant like this smack in the middle of Marin county being an extraordinary success. Yoga moms stopping by for a little snack before practice...work-stressed women stopping by on the way home and picking up dinner to go....(or men...) Instead....it is far away from me in the other direction - it's in the Philippines.

I like the principle in general - certain foods appear to be better at helping your brain regulate serotonin and dopamine levels - those happy hormones. So based on the menu that was posted in facebook, i was able to see that actually, our diet more or less revolves around these foods as it is. (Fish, whole grains, spinach, nuts, garlic and onions, etc.).

No comments: