Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Surfing the Wave



I signed up to be on the preview/beta tester list for Google Wave as soon as I heard about it. Have been muttering and cursing under my breath for the past two weeks or so because no invite arrived and the whole blogosphere won't shut up about how wonderful it is.

Then, to add insult to injury, I got an email which LOOKED LIKE it came from google telling me to invite all my friends to Google Wave and to BUY A RAFFLE TICKET to get an invite to Google Wave (Read the fine print at the bottom of the email ...a bit later - seems the email was written by some fan or something). Unbelievable. So I wrote back a super nasty reply telling them to more or less....shove their suggestions and requests for money into a deep dark hole.

And LO AND BEHOLD! This morning, an invite arrived. :-)

Probably I will find out that everyone got one, and my nasty email was completely unrelated. :-P

But I appear to also have 8 invites to give away...well...kinda...you can see for yourself. Who wants one? Any takers?

Ah...you don't know what Google Wave is? Take a look.

__________________
Later:
Played around with the functionality with my friend Henning who I haven't seen in almost 10 years - my one and only contact who has ALSO received an invite. After "waving" for an hour - Henning patiently put up with my testing out every little gadget and widget I could get my hands on - we decided to meet up for a burger tomorrow evening. He threw in a photo so i could recognize him. (Thanks Henning!)

Also funny is that the wave is still working on a few kinks....got this cute error message a moment ago. :-)
At least they are keeping a sense of humor about it.

2 comments:

Philippe said...

I'm pretty sure this wave thing will become a digital tsunami once it will be available for everybody who didn't get an invite yet... no, I wasn't lucky either :(

Julie Nathan said...

I think....eventually it will be a digital tsunami. :-) After sending the nasty email to google, I did get an invite (and was allowed to invite 8 others) - so am now playing around with it. It's nice, but takes some getting used to. We have created a Sapient Wave (about 25 of us participating in an ongoing wave), but it's hard to really gauge the potential without a project of some kind to test it out on. So we're all playing around with it, but there is no goal, so it just feels like playing. I want to see how it is when there is a real collaboration need.