Sunday, November 8, 2009

The New Knife




I spent about 9 hours today working on a proposal (including team conferences, etc.) that we'll send over to the client tomorrow. But it went quite well - I was able to concentrate and felt very efficient despite the fact that I was sitting on my butt most of the day. Quite pleased with the results, so we'll see what happens. Might get to travel to the client in Milan...so there are perks for working for 9 hours on a Sunday.

Finished everything up at about 5:30 pm, sent it off to the account director, and then....started to cook dinner. Nothing fancy - just a favorite Jamie Oliver recipe (Lebanese chicken - with preserved lemons and baked bulgar and fennel) that I haven't made in awhile. But the fun part was that I finally got to use a new knife I bought last week. I splurged and bought a REALLY BEAUTIFUL Japanese knife mid-week and hadn't really had a chance to test it out yet.

Gotta say, it was amazing. It cut through chicken joints like they were made out of butter, and sliced the onions and fennel effortlessly as well. Was a real pleasure to use. Looking forward to cooking more with it.

One of the things I really like in addition to the sharpness of the blade is the shape of the handle. It fits snugly in the hand because of the slightly irregular shape. Apparently the Japanese call it a chestnut handle - because the circumference of the handle is roughly in the shape of a chestnut.

Nice nice nice. Highly recommended.
It is a "Shun" - The scalloped Santoku Knife 6 1/2"

1 comment:

Philippe said...

Japanese knifes..I love them! Sharp and stylish. Here's an interesting article about the design of Japanese knifes