Saturday, March 13, 2010

Goal-driven motivation (S2H)



I am that kinda person - there has to be a goal. Without a goal, I am lost. A couple weeks back I blogged about the S2H - this little wristwatch that monitors your physical activity. In the last week, I know what my physical activity graph looks like: a flat line. Like bottom of the y-axis flat. Like butt-expanding unless I finally get off of it super nasty flat. I like going to the gym - I feel great afterwards and the buzz lasts for a couple days. But when I don't make it there during the week, the weekend roles around and I am deader than those two remaining blue hundred-year old eggs in my refrigerator. So...the S2H has arrived and there are some new goals to rejoice over. If I log 7500 hours worth of points, I can win a Wii. Now don't get me wrong - I can go to the store this afternoon and simply BUY one in about 5 minutes, but...there would be no fun in that. The one piece of information I don't know and can't find online...is how many damn hours of physical activity is required...for 7500 points? 7500 hours?!?!? In which case, it will be a really really long time before I get the Wii. Or else..I will be really really really fit in a very short while. Thankfully there are rewards I can win for fewer points. But still daunting?
Well, I am off to the gym, so I guess I will know when I get back how many points 60 minutes of workout make...or 90. or 120. or...

Several Hours Later....
Ok, here's the report:
They are not kidding when they say moderate to intense physical activity. I just did a two hour workout, elliptical machine for 50 minutes, treadmill for 35, and bike for 25, and the thing JUST NOW (after also walking home, walking there, a few shakes of frustration, etc.) finally finally gave me credit for 60 minutes. So, not sure why. I was really moving the whole time, and it wasn't a casual walk in the park. I was wondering if it had to do with repetitive motion or something like that. Will have to wait and see and notice patterns.
Meanwhile, I uploaded my credit of one hour to see what I would get for that sweat, and am relieved to see that I at least get 60 points. So if I divide 7500 points by 60...I can see that it will take 125 hours to win the Wii. That seems kind of incredible. Not so bad, actually. 124 hours to go.

And...continued. I wasn't happy yesterday evening because I managed to rack up an additional 60 minutes on the device. Went to put in the additional hour and received the message that I can only put in 60 min a day!!! Ridiculous. Wrote the company. Waiting to hear what they say.
My letter:

Dear S2H,
I just recently bought an S2H device and have begun to use it. I was really excited to receive it and begin using it yesterday.

I have two questions: 1) I went to the gym and did quite a vigorous workout yesterday for close to two hours. I wore the device on my arm while I was on the elliptical machine, and in frustration, tied to my shoe while on the bike and treadmill. Despite the two hours, the device only really registered about 1 hour of activity. (It wasn't that it had filled up the hour and given me a code, it didn't quite fill up the hour.) Are there movements that simply don't register with the device? Perhaps very regular low impact movements? I was pretty confused because I was working quite hard.

2) Despite the fact that it only registered about one hour, when I finally did get the code and upload it, I continued with a fairly active day. And through the course of the rest of the day, I managed to accumulate a second hour. I tried to upload the second code (same day) and received the message that I am only allowed to upload once per day. This seems really really strange based on the stated goals of the organization and the purpose of the device. I ask that you reconsider this policy, as I had really wanted to use the device to register my actual activity on a daily basis, not the fact that I had managed a single hour.

By the way, I have written a blog entry or two on the device - can be found here: www.juliecanblog.blogspot.com.

Best regards, and hopeful that you will reconsider your policy,
Julie

No comments: