Friday, March 19, 2010

S2H Update

The ongoing communication between S2H and me:

They wrote back:
Hello Julie,

Thanks for your feedback regarding the S2H REPLAY.

1) The type of movement that best works with the S2H REPLAY is moderate to intense physical activity that has a good amount of upper body movement. Riding a bike or a casual walk will not fill up the REPLAY. Some of the best activities are aerobics, basketball, tennis, running, dancing, etc...

2) The CDC (Center for Disease Control) recommends 60 minutes of physical activity per day. We've determined that the safest approach for the S2H system is to limit the daily uploads to (1). Since many of our users are kids, we didn't want them to over exert themselves in order to reach specific reward goals.

We hope that we've answered your questions and concerns, and if you have any other questions or issues, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you!

The S2H Team

and I wrote back:
Dear S2H,
Yes, you answered my questions, so thank you very much for that.

However, I just spent a few minutes going through your website, looking for the information from question 2 below. Indeed, one of your FAQs mentions the CDC information. What you fail to mention is the fact that you only allow 1 upload per day. Does this appear anywhere on the website? I honestly would not have purchased the device had I thought this was the case.

Obviously I have not failed to see the business logic in allowing only 1 upload per day. But in the interest of full disclosure, I feel strongly that you must alert potential buyers to this fact so they can make a reasoned decision regarding whether or not this device is the one they should get - rather, for instance, than a more sophisticated Polar device. There are different motivations for buying your device. For some, it is certainly about the rewards. For others, it is about having a device that tracks true activity on a daily basis. I like a lot of the features of your device, and certainly the price made it an easy selection, if only to try out. But when it comes down to it, if I had had all the information in advance, I would have bought something else. I feel as though you know this is the case for a segment of your target audience. It is misleading not to publish the upload limit. I ask you to please ammend your website to reflect this information.

In the meantime, a number of my facebook and blog followers have asked me for my advice on the device. Sadly, I have been forced to recommend against it.

I think there must be a solution for better addressing the needs of multiple target groups, and not only children who might accidentally get a little too much exercise.

Sincerely,
Julie Nathan

No comments: