Friday, March 19, 2010

Momofuku Octopus


Tried another Momofuku recipe this evening. Quite nice but a lot of work if you follow all of his directions. You are supposed to braise the octopus in the oven for two hours and then grill it. I didn't have that kind of time, so took a few shortcuts. And...it was delicious, but still on the chewy side. (I actually like it chewier). Also, had a few SMALL substitutes here and there, nothing crazy. Full of: octopus, green onions, bamboo shoots, green algae, carrots, red peppers.

Would make it again.

Trying Chang's kimchee recipe for cabbage kimchee this weekend as well. Although I guess it'll be about two weeks before it is done marinating.

My sister mentioned a restaurant near her where she goes to eat occasionally - where the food gives her tons of energy. I am curious to hear more about those dishes. This octopus salad felt a bit like one of those recipes, I think. Lot of spice and crunch and chew, and next to zero fat.

2 comments:

Urmi said...

Wow... that looks AWESOME.

Julie Nathan said...

Was good! :-) But next time I will spend the two hours braising. Need to plan better. Momofuku is not about spontaneous cooking, I have discovered.