Saturday, June 27, 2009

Old Habits Die Hard



The last 2 and a half years I was at university (oh yeah! back in the good old days...) I lived in apartments and houses with friends. One year an apartment with one flatmate, one year a house with 4 housemates, and one semester a house with four total strangers. (But a block from where my sister was living, and the guys I lived with were a lot of fun.)

Back then, I used to cook to procrastinate. Paper due? Better think about something REALLY complicated to cook, or at least something that would take a good long time, to avoid writing the paper. So then I would be done with serving, eating, and cleaning up around 10 at night and I would have the night to write the 5 or 6 page paper for the next day. (We will not reflect on some of my grades during the first couple years of university, we will accept them as a learning experience. )

And I hadn't PLANNED on cooking this weekend. Rather more working because of our huge workshop next week. But I think I am still on schedule...hope so anyway.

Tonight's dinner was actually reasonably fast and refreshing after sitting in the office for 5 hours this afternoon. Andreas went to buy the tuna while I was at work, so shopping kept to a minimum. Seared tuna with rice noodle pillow, and grapefruit, cucumber, avocado salad with herb-passion fruit dressing. Have made this before, but not in a long time. Next time, would leave the tuna raw...Küchenschlacht material? No. But at least food for thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is Kuchenschlacht?
Amy

Julie Nathan said...

Literally means "Kitchen Butchery." But what it is is a cooking show on ZDF - a local tv station here. It is simply another take on the tried and true - 6 contestents (in this case amatuer hobby cooks) compete against each other to get further. Each day one gets knocked out. Judges are professional chefs. The reason I like it is that I really do learn a few things here and there. You see everyone cooking and they have help from professionals along the way. It's really well done and the recipes the hobby cooks prepare are do-able - no Thomas Keller recipes that take 5 weeks to plan and 3 days to prepare. ;-)