Sunday, May 31, 2009

Leftovers: Variations on a Theme





It all started with a book review I saw yesterday morning in the New York Times. Three food memoirs (a new genre) reviewed by Christine Muhlke. All sound really good. I think I even put one on my "to buy sometime in the future" list over on Amazon. One of the authors, Molly Wizenberg, ("A HOMEMADE LIFE, Stories and Recipes From My Kitchen") also writes a blog called Orangette. (Although unfortunately, it looks like she is taking a break from blogging at the moment).

Anyway, so after reading the review, I was curious about the blog and headed over there to take a look. I had asparagus in the fridge, and no real ideas on what to do with them, and happened across a recipe that she posted for Roasted Asparagus with Walnut Crema and Pecorino. Sounded really good. So that was dinner last night with a piece of salmon and a tomato salad. I ended up making only one ammendment to the recipe for the crema. Molly didn't add any salt or pepper, but I thought after tasting it, that it needed a bit. So I added a couple pinches of both.

The walnut crema was incredibly rich though, and I didn't use that much of it. Thought about what to do with the leftovers, and decided to mix it with tomatoes, thai basil and parsley, a chunk of leftover salmon, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, and pasta. Which was a good idea. Lunch today...

No comments: