Saturday, May 16, 2009

No-Calorie TV: Kuchenschlacht

We gave up our TV in 2005 when we moved to Singapore, which was a
really good decision. Even when there are times when I'm tired and
don't feel like reading or cooking or talking with friends, more often
then not I am thankful that the big black box (or I guess it would be
a flat panel these days) is not there to suck me into the void. Ok, I
admit that to a large extent the laptop has merely replaced it. *But*
at least in this case I am actively choosing what to watch or read or
listen to.

Nevertheless, a guilty pleasure at the gym remains watching a cooking
show on Sat morning. It's fairly long (makes for a long workout then
if I want to watch the whole thing...) and...I think called
"kuchenschlacht" - literally "kitchen butchery." Hardly a new concept,
but done really well by ZDF-amatuer cooks compete against one another
for a week to see who is the best cook. They are judged by
professional chefs along the way and each day, one is removed from the
lineup. I like the show because as an amatuer myself, I am really
learning a few things. The competitors make mistakes I make and get
tips for improvement.

Today's show especially good. There were a bunch of recipes I wanted
to try.

Therefore, looks like I got my no-calorie tv for the day....

3 comments:

Dorothee said...

Du könntest doch bei der Küchenschlacht mitmachen. Vielleicht gewinnst Du und kannst Samstagabends mit den Starköchen im TV auftreten. Julie und Schuhbeck!

Julie Nathan said...

Haha. Sehr nett, aber nicht wahr. Nach ich darueber nachgedacht habe, bin ich ziemlich sicher das ich nicht bis in die final Runde kommen koente. Ist aber OK so. :-)

Julie Nathan said...

I only notice my german grammar errors after I publish them!!!!! Argh. :-(